Science in our school
Our Science curriculum provides children with opportunities to experience observing, exploring and recording.
We actively encourage our children to ask questions and investigate in order to acquire scientific knowledge, understanding and skills.
The curriculum offers a range of practical and active learning experiences:
- - develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
- - develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them
- - are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
Our vision of science in De Lucy:
We know that good science teaching and learning is happening when...
- We are discovering new information about science and the world around us.
- We have fantastic, exciting and practical lessons that we can remember.
- We are able to work as a team and on our own to ask questions and find an answer.
- We are able to choose what we would like to investigate.
- We learn about science through other subjects.
- Teachers help us learn new and interesting science facts.
- We are using the correct scientific vocabulary.
What is science capital?
- Science capital is a concept that can help us to understand why some young people participate in science and others do not.
- The concept of science capital can be imagined like a ‘holdall’, or bag, containing all the science-related knowledge, attitudes, experiences and resources that you acquire through life.
- It includes what science you know, how you think about science (your attitudes and dispositions), who you know (e.g. if your parents are very interested in science) and what sort of everyday engagement you have with science.
How you can help at home:
- Encourage children’s enjoyment in science
- Link science to everyday life
- Showcase how science is used in different jobs