How are we teaching your child to read in school?
- Daily phonic sessions – children are ‘growing the code’ and learning that sounds
can be represented in different ways eg ee, ea, y ie and e can all make the same sound.
- Daily keep up interventions for any children who need extra help to secure teaching
- Daily catch up sessions for any children who may be working a little lower than the expected level.
- Three reading sessions each week:
Session 1: Decoding – reading known words and sounding out
Session 2: Prosody – reading with meaning and expression
Session 3: Comprehension – talking about what we have read
- Daily story time-we read books to the children that they cannot read themselves
- Daily singing and sharing of rhymes and poems
How you can help your child at home?
- Listen to your child read their reading book each day (5-10 mins)
*Their book will be changed weekly. We teach your child how to read the book so parents & carers can help their child to practise what they have been taught.
- Read a story to your child as often as possible (every day if you can) so they can not only develop a love for reading, but also experience lots of new vocabulary.
- Continue to talk lots and encourage your child to talk in full sentences.